It is time to go to prayer. To go into some focused prayer. To be a people of prayer.
Mondays are a regular day of fasting for me. This is a day in which I refrain from eating regular food for the sake of more prayer. This is not a diet day, but is a day of restraint so that: 1) I’m aware of my dependance on God 2) I am prompted to pray when hunger strikes.
Today, would you join me? Here is my prayer list:
- I am praying for all medical personnel. As the virus spreads, they will be among the most exposed and will have less opportunity to self-quarantine. I am praying for their protection and for strength and for courage. I am thanking God for them.
- I am praying for our public officials who are making important decisions. Today, as Governor Kate Brown makes decisions that affect a lot of people, I am praying for her and her staff.
- I am praying for widespread humility. When public officials make recommendations, I have noticed I am prone to cynicism and self-important attitudes: my first thought is to mistrust. I’ve noticed that I am not the only one. Let’s choose to be humble.
- I am praying for the eradication of this disease.
- I am praying for all of those who are losing work or income. I am praying for God’s provision.
- And, I am praying that each of us would allow this season to sift us and help us re-prioritize our lives.
- I am praying for local churches–that God would strengthen leaders and give wisdom.
My prayer for you:
“The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.”