Group Discussion (40 minutes)
- Read this version of Matthew 5:3-12 out loud.
3 Flourishing are the poor in spirit because the kingdom of heaven is theirs.
4 Flourishing are the mourners because they will be comforted.
5 Flourishing are the humble because they will inherit the world.
6 Flourishing are the ones hungering and thirsting for righteousness because they will be satisfied.
7 Flourishing are the merciful because they will be given mercy.
8 Flourishing are the pure in heart because they will see God.
9 Flourishing are the peacemakers because they will be called the children of God.
10 Flourishing are the ones persecuted on account of righteousness because the kingdom of heaven is theirs.
11 Flourishing are you whenever people revile and slander and speak all kinds of evil things against you on account of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad because your reward is great in heaven. In this same way people slandered the prophets who came before you.Matthew 5:3-12
- We prefer to control outcomes. Why?
- Think of a situation in your life that you’d like to control. Tell your group about it—and tell God that you cannot be in control. Tell him again.
- What does a flourishing life look like?
- Compare your thoughts on a flourishing life with some people in the NT. How do your thoughts about flourishing compare with Jesus’ followers and their lives?
- On your own and then as a group—Take 5 minutes of total quiet. With your group or triad, talk about what you felt and thought during that quiet.